A core focus of my work is understanding the misinformation ecosystem and mitigating the forces that have been helping it grow.
I work on:
- Developing metrics for misinformation consumption and tools for tracking those metrics.
- Incentivizing distribution platforms like Facebook and Google to effectively address both explicit manipulation and the implicit biases of current products toward spreading misleading content.
- Scaling fact checking and related efforts to identify false, misleading, or sensationalized content.
- Prototyping ways that news literacy lessons can reach beyond the walls of formal education, to the people who need it most.
- Ensuring that systems are being developed to handle future forms of misinformation, manipulation, and persuasion.